Centerpiece

Centerpiece

I'm thinking of events where centerpieces exist... bar/bat mitzvahs... award ceremonies... hotels...

I remember making "memory candles" at bar/bat mitzvahs. It was the cool "in" thing to do. Grab a glass of water from the table with a nice stem, and put in mementos from the event. Things like the birthday boy/girl's name tag from the table, and maybe a flower from the centerpiece. Sometimes bits of food but ideally not! Non perishables if possible. Then you were supposed to take a candle from the table (there were always candles on the table!) and drip wax all along the surface of the water and up the edges of the glass to seal everything in. Like a time capsule.

I doubt any "memory candles" ever left a restaurant! They were probably all thrown away. I'm kind of curious now about exactly how futile those attempts were, and how long it'd take for that wax seal to start to ooze? Hours I'd think. But who knows? I never had a bat mitzvah so I was never presented with one of those "teenage works of art" ;) I probably would have tried to keep it!

4 comments

well, what a really cool and fun idea, though! i would have brought it home and kept it, though :)

December 6, 2011 at 11:28 AM
 

Despite the best of intentions, I'm sure some would have gone rancid in time. I think I remember a few grapes making their way into one! I wonder if any ever made it home and how long they lasted.

December 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM
 

Sorry am so late at commenting on this stuff. . . it's been busy but anyway. . I've never heard of that. Sounds like fun- much more fun than rolling around in rubbish bins anyway!

December 25, 2011 at 11:02 PM
 

I don't think I'd have been brave enough to roll in a rubbish bin. I was daring, but I think I liked to feel like I was in control of any childhood "stunts!"

December 26, 2011 at 5:49 AM
 

Post a Comment

Click the "Subscribe by email" link below to receive follow-up comments to this post. (To subscribe to the blog as a whole, see "Follow/RSS" at the top of this page.)