Concern

Concern

Unhelpful people come to mind. It's understandable for people to be concerned from time to time. I get concerned too. But it's also important to not let that concern become an annoyance or burden for the other person.

Some people think that any help is still help. That's not so. It doesn't matter what the giver believes is helpful. Help is not help unless it's considered helpful by the recipient. Any other "help", undue concern, or calls or unwelcomed visits are often immensely detrimental. It's not charitable, it's self serving. It's entirely for the benefit of the giver who needs to feel like they're doing something useful, or see the person, or hear from them, or be convinced everything is ok...

I've seen the damage people like that can do, and I won't allow people like that in my life. I have a couple of family members and a neighbor who fall into that category, - who I can't "get rid" of! - so I lie. Always. No matter what is happening in my life, to them I will always be 100% perpetually "fine."

2 comments

I can't even tell you how much I agree with this.

September 20, 2011 at 2:14 AM
 

Sorry you can relate. I had a friend who needed time and space and quiet - and told people to please respect this. She eventually had to move in with me for a while to get away from everyone who insisted on "checking in with her." She was fine at my place but she wanted to be in her OWN home with her OWN things, but "well meaning" people made her life such a living hell that she could no longer recover in her own home.

I've experienced similar do-gooders at times. It's the reason I now have Caller ID ;)

September 20, 2011 at 10:26 AM
 

Post a Comment

Click the "Subscribe by email" link below to receive follow-up comments to this post. (To subscribe to the blog as a whole, see "Follow/RSS" at the top of this page.)