Band

Band

Elementary school band. I could probably still play all those tunes if I had the right instrument.

Ok maybe not. But I remember them all vividly.

My orchestra teacher was always talking about how parents would come up to him astonished by how good we were. He'd tell them "I give them music that's appropriate to their skill level. They know how to read music, and they know how to count... So if they play what they see, why is everyone so surprised?"

As an adult, I now better understand both sides of that. After hearing numerous abysmal children's performances, I'm left wondering what the big deal is. They know how to read music, they know how to count... why aren't they playing the pieces perfectly?

0 comments

Post a Comment

Click the "Subscribe by email" link below to receive follow-up comments to this post. (To subscribe to the blog as a whole, see "Follow/RSS" at the top of this page.)