Trophy

trophy

Why did "trophy wife" come to mind?

The next thing that came to my mind was trophies I earned as a kid. I had a whole shelf full of them. Some because my father forced my siblings and I to play sports so somewhere along the way I was bound to win some trophies or ribbons.

The most important to me, though, were the non-sports ones. The ones I didn't even expect to win. The ones I didn't even know there were trophies for! Those are still the most important to me.

There was one for music, one for.... what did they call it... it basically meant "best friend to others" at camp. I was runner up, but I was surprised to have been noticed or considered at all. I didn't even know there *was* an award for that. It was voted on by staff. A couple of them came over to me after the "big camp awards ceremony" to make sure I wasn't upset with not having won first place. That was so strange to me. Like I'd be insulted? Lol! Runner up was fine with me! And still surprising.

I have another award for humor, and one for art. An unexpected one from an old roommate that I still have -Makes me laugh to this day! There was also one for most improved in a class I didn't even take. - Talk about not expecting an award ;) Right teacher, wrong class. I was in his other class. He was mortified. I still found it funny. I felt bad later for telling him he goofed because he seemed upset by that, but I understood what the award was for and I appreciated it regardless of what the little printed words on it said.

Oh.... and I also just remembered one more trophy I have. It isn't even mine. Well, it is now. It was "awarded" to a character played by a friend of mine. The friend passed away, but I still have the award with his "alter ego's" name on it.

I miss him. I don't think I have anything else of his... Just that, and some pictures, and my memories... and a vague recollection of some really bad jokes he used to tell...

I miss you D

0 comments

Post a Comment

Click the "Subscribe by email" link below to receive follow-up comments to this post. (To subscribe to the blog as a whole, see "Follow/RSS" at the top of this page.)