Function

Function

I had a lot of "functions" to attend when I was younger. Family things. Impressive and all very proper. I never knew if anyone had any fun. They were always so tense. The people, the atmosphere... So much pressure to dress right, look right, speak correctly, mingle correctly... Condescension all around.

A few times I got so aggravated and stressed that I started trashing my whole family. Dishing the dirt to anyone who'd listen. - I wasn't drunk. I was STRESSED, and I let it out. Not loudly. Quietly, to anyone who'd listen. So in the end, I guess I did exactly what everyone was afraid of. If not worse. - Made them all look bad.

Maybe if people had spent their time and energy trying to genuinely BE perfect, instead of trying to give the impression of being perfect, the outcome would have been different. Maybe if they had treated me and others like we were fantastic, just the way we were, instead of embarrassments, there would have been no resulting self fulfilling prophecies.

4 comments

I hate to say this, but your family "functions" don't sound very fun. You should come to one of ours . . . we would make you feel really good about yourself and you would have a lot of fun!

January 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM
 

Awwwe! Thank you!!! Yes, I dreaded family functions. I bet yours are awesome! :)

January 31, 2012 at 7:08 PM
 

"Functions" - yes! I remember that term being used to describe "command performances" - those events to which you needed to go and comport yourself like a young lady or gentleman. GAG.

January 31, 2012 at 10:37 PM
 

Yes! Good description :)

February 1, 2012 at 7:52 AM
 

Post a Comment

Click the "Subscribe by email" link below to receive follow-up comments to this post. (To subscribe to the blog as a whole, see "Follow/RSS" at the top of this page.)