Held (II)

I held my breath thinking that, if I acted dead, no one in the room would bother with me. Maybe they wouldn't even see me. They could just steal anything they wanted and GO.

There was no one in the room, but after a nightmare I was always terrified to move. Terrified to look like I was breathing. I'd try logic "There's no one in the room. Why would someone be in the room? There's NEVER been anyone in the room. You're just thinking about this because you had a nightmare, but there's never been anyone in the room before, so what are the odds that someone would break in THIS night, for the first time EVER, JUST because you had a nightmare?"

And my reply to myself was always "Yes but that doesn't mean there couldn't be someone in here right now!

Staring....

Don't move....

Don't breathe...."

When I was younger I'd also try to make myself as flat as possible under the covers so it would look like I wasn't even in the bed. - I can't quite pull that one off anymore.

4 comments

I went through a phase in childhood where I couldn't go to sleep unless the covers were pulled all the way up to my chin, because I was terrified of vampires. I don't know why I thought that a thin little blanket would be enough armor to protect me from their attack, but I did. Maybe, as I explained to my daughter recently, I just thought it was better not to tempt them, so if a vampire happened to be passing through my room, they wouldn't see my neck and suddenly feel a little peckish. And then my daughter asked why I thought there were vampires passing through my room at night. Which is really sort of the question, isn't it?

June 20, 2011 at 6:29 PM
 

Lol about the thin little blanket!

And yes that is the question. And one I wondered about with myself as well.

We must have lived in "the zone" - whatever determines that!

June 21, 2011 at 8:57 AM
 

There is a very simple solution to the possibility of there being someone in your room: a rather large dog. Get her to sleep right outside your bedroom door. It works wonders. Only downside is that they often snore, if not at first, as they get older. The vampire thing, never bothered me.
Josie x

June 29, 2011 at 7:37 AM
 

That would work for me. Except the snoring part. And of course then I'd always worry about the safety of the dog...

This might be where a vampire fear might serve me better. Do vampires give a damn about dogs?

June 29, 2011 at 10:07 AM
 

Post a Comment

Click the "Subscribe by email" link below to receive follow-up comments to this post. (To subscribe to the blog as a whole, see "Follow/RSS" at the top of this page.)